Saturday, January 2, 2010

BNE Brissy Brisvegas - Brisbane's best coffee

I haven't tried much coffee outside of Melbourne apart from in Europe, so needing a break from Melbourne I chose to head north for some coffee.

My trip happened to coincide with the QLD heats of the Australian Barista Championship where I had the pleasure of judging in both the Barista comp and Latte Art comps - unfortunately this meant I didn't have time to take any photos of the competition.

I had great coffee at 3 places, not quite as good as Melbourne's best standards when they're in the zone but not far off - I did only visit once though so not a fair comparison.


Veneziano - The First Pour



It felt like I spent most of my time in Brisbane here, a full days judging and an afternoon of coffee before I headed to Sydney.
Was treated to more of the Rwandan that was my fave of the weekend, caught up with Wolffy and drank one too - a double ristretto tulip.
If you've been to the Melbourne First Pour it's a similar concept but Brissy has food and it's definitely worth dropping by.


One Drop Specialty Coffee



Ben & Blaine doing great things in a fairly new cafe.
Had a great flat white and still recall the blueberry finish from the Harrar in the blend that's roasted locally by Clean Skin Coffee Co.
The Costa Rica Herbazu (guest coffee roasted by Veneziano) short black was one of my faves of the trip, just pipped by the Rwandan Josh used in the latte art comp.


Chic Espresso


Was given the heads up by Ben about this place but arrived too late for the cupping he was running.
Both coffees I had here a few days later were excellent, using 5 Senses Dean is doing his roaster and his equipment justice.
Wish them all the best and i'm sure you'll be hearing more about them soon.


Cup Specialty Coffee
One to look out for...

3 comments:

  1. We go to Veneziano all the time. It really does do a good coffee (and rather a nice piece of cake too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their coffee, aren't they related to the Groovetrain somehow? When I was in brisbane recently though, I put my money on Lady Marmalade Cafe they're at least continuing the search for Brisbanes best coffee, personally i think their baristas are amazing, and the place is chill to boot. Would like to see some filter coffee but that's just me being Canadian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow /Hey thanks man!! you are so good. I think this the perfect work.

    Coffee Equipment

    ReplyDelete